Down memory lane..

editorial image

A peek at the Journal and Gazette archives

1895

January 26

GRANTED: The Secretary of Scotland granted application for the amalgamation of Queensferry and Dalmeny parishes.

CHARGED: A Bathgate publican was found guilty, at Linlithgow Sheriff Court, of diluting whisky on his premises. The penalty was £10.

VOTERS: An announcement was made that a list of the names of those eligible to vote in the election of the County Councillors in Linlithgow and Queensferry would be posted in the town halls of the respective burghs.

GENEROSITY: His Grace, the Duke of Hamilton, has been pleased to give a donation of 20 tons of coal to the poor of the parish.

NARROW ESCAPE: Whilst playing on the ice at The Dub, Queensferry, a youngster had a narrow escape when the ice broke and he had to be rescued with a rope.

1945

January 26

RETURNED: Mr and Mrs Clark of 6 High Street, received a wonderful surprise when their son, Sergeant John Clark of the R.A.F., returned home after being reported missing the previous week. John and his pilot had been forced to bale out over Holland. John had landed in “no-man’s-land” and was able to walk to safety.

BRIDGE: The building of a road bridge over the Forth was discussed in the House of Commons. The Parliamentary Secretary stated that the bridge would not be of a high priority due to the volume of public works required after the war but the bridge would remain in consideration.

GUILTY: Five boys and one girl appeared at a Juvenile Court where they pleaded guilty to stealing 60lbs of oranges from premises in Bathgate in a “well-planned job”.

1995

January 27

NAMED: The new sports complex at Kettilstoun Mains was named “Linlithgow Leisure Centre” following a West Lothian District Council committee meeting. Other possible names included “Leisure Palace”, “Sports Port” and “The Mary Stuart Centre”.

AWARD: The Champany near Linlithgow was judged to offer the best steak in the UK. It was credited as having beef which was “miles tastier” than anywhere else.

VICTORIA HALL: The fate of Linlithgow’s Victoria Hall was debated after West Lothian District Council’s planning committee rejected plans to demolish the building. Mr Taylor, who lived in part of the former cinema, appealed to the Secretary of State after the council turned down his appeal to turn the site into flats and offices.

2005

January 28

PARTIES: It was revealed that Linlithgow topped the West Lothian “league table” for most neighbour complaints about noisy parties in December. The Linlithgow area received eight complaints, five of which were classed as “serious nuisances”.

OPPOSED: Ronald Smith, chairman of Linlithgow Civic Trust wrote to the Journal and Gazette to reassure readers that it was opposed to the suggested retail development at Stockbridge.

CONCERT: Linlithgow Reed Band were joined forces with Linlithgow Rugby Club’s male and female choirs to raise money for the tsunami appeal by hosting a concert. The event took place at St. Michael’s Church and although entry to the concert was free, people were encouraged to give donations.