Claims that asbestos was illegally removed from a development site in Winchburgh were rubbished this week.
On May 24, the Journal and Gazette reported the concerns of Raymond McCabe, chair of Winchburgh Community Council.
It was believed developers Barratt and Miller homes put workers and residents at risk by removing asbestos from the area, dumping it next to the Auldcathie landfill site, and transporting it in uncovered dump trucks to another storage area over a number of weeks.
Regency Ltd, managers of the Winchburgh development said the allegations were false and SEPA investigated the claims. This week, a spokesman for SEPA, said: “Following a complaint regarding waste activity at a development in Winchburgh, SEPA officers have been gathering information and liaising with all involved parties to assess the situation. After inspection, it has been concluded there is no evidence of environmental harm or regulatory breaches. Therefore, no further action is required. The complainant has been advised of our findings.”
A spokesman for the Winchburgh development said he was pleased the matter was closed and that the 12 sheets of asbestos found on site were disposed of correctly and that no one had been put at risk.
Raymond McCabe of Winchburgh Community Council said he was dissatisfied with the outcome saying illegal tipping was ongoing.