Bo’ness Fire service stop possible disaster

A fire was believed to have been started at Dawson Place Bo'ness, almost setting the house alight
A fire was believed to have been started at Dawson Place Bo'ness, almost setting the house alight

Eagle-eyed fireman were quick to act to stop a potential catastrophe earlier this week.

During the early hours of Monday, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was called out to extinguish a set of burning wheelie bins at Baptie Place, Bo’ness.

While en route to the fire, the firemen noticed another blaze in nearby Dawson Place.

A spokesman for the SFRS said: “The dispatched appliance came across conifer trees and a vehicle that had been set alight in the front garden of a home in the same area as the original call.”

Andrew Mathews, the owner of the property, was unaware of what was happening just outside his home until the fire department knocked on his door to alert him to the danger.

He said: “The real fear was my house could have gone on fire. The trees went up like Roman candles. I am just thankful to the fire service for their help - without their swift action this could have been a lot worse.”

The fires appear to have been started deliberately and Mr Mathews hopes the community can come together to catch whoever is responsible.

A police spokeswoman said: “Officers in Forth Valley are investigating following these suspicious fires. Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”