Family safe but cats were not so lucky

Fire in top floor flat at Muirend Court, Bo'ness
Fire in top floor flat at Muirend Court, Bo'ness

A Bo’ness family had an extremely lucky escape – as they were not at home when a blaze took hold of their top floor council flat.

Firefighters from Bo’ness, Falkirk and Linlithgow were alerted to the blaze at Muirend Court just before 4pm on Saturday.

Fire in top floor flat at Muirend Court, Bo'ness - pic courtesy of Graham Thom

Fire in top floor flat at Muirend Court, Bo'ness - pic courtesy of Graham Thom

Six firefighters wearing full breathing apparatus entered the property and extinguished the fire in the bedroom –thought to be caused by an electrical appliance – using two hose reel jets.

The family were out at the time.

But, sadly, their three cats died after attempts to revive them with oxygen therapy at the scene failed.

Group manager Joe Andrews said: “The fire caused extensive damage to the property and our firefighters worked hard to stop the fire spreading to the roof.

“They were at the incident for some considerable time dampening down and checking for hot spots.

“There are more electrical appliances in use within households than ever before.

“Some of the most common causes of fire in the home are faulty leads and appliances.”

Falkirk Council confirmed the flat was council owned.

A council spokesman said: “The property suffered extensive damage, resulting in the family being placed in temporary accommodation until their home can be made habitable again.”