Firefighters are ‘Living It Up’ to help combat house fires

Having a smoke alarm can drastically reduce the chance of death from a house fire
Having a smoke alarm can drastically reduce the chance of death from a house fire

Firefighters in Falkirk and West Lothian have got together with NHS 24’s ‘Living It Up’ project to produce a video promoting free home fire safety visits and smoke alarm fittings for over 50s.

Now, following the launch of a Scottish Fire and Rescue (SFRS) nationwide ‘week of action’ aimed at preventing accidental house fires and the tragedies they cause, Living It Up and SFRS are launching the video nationally.

Assistant chief officer Lewis Ramsay said: “The 
video made in partnership with Living it Up perfectly fits the week of action message.

“Thirty people have lost their lives this year in Scotland. Almost two-thirds of those killed were over 60. Most or all of these could have been prevented.

“As the video shows, home fire safety visits are easy to organise, and a few simple pieces of advice could save your life and ensure that over 50s are free to keep living it up.”

Living it Up is a £10m digital health, care and well-being project launched by the cabinet secretary for health and well-being, Alex Neil.

The project, which is being led by NHS 24, has enlisted local communities over a three year period to help develop ways local services can be delivered digitally.

Free home fire safety 
visits take around 20 minutes to complete and are conducted at a time convenient for the householder.

If you think an elderly relative would benefit from a free home fire safety visit call SFRS on the freephone number 0800 0731 999 or visit www.firescotland.gov.uk

Fire safety tips

Make sure you have smoke alarms on at least every level of your home.

Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they’re working. Test them regularly.

Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out. Right out.

Plan your escape route and make sure everyone knows how to get out in a fire.

Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended.

Do not overload electrical sockets and watch out for faulty and over-heating electrical equipment and wiring/cables.

Never leave naked flames or candles unattended at any times and ensure these are fully extinguished.

Keep matches and lighters out of reach of young children.