Further delays for drivers on Queensferry Crossing

editorial image

Motorists are being warned to brace themselves for a further month of delays on the Queensferry Crossing.

Drivers have been stuck in regular traffic jams on both approaches to the new bridge because of speed restrictions of 40mph, while the surrounding roads links are completed.

Transport Minister Humza Yousaf believes once the neighbouring Forth Road Bridge opens up as a public transport corridor later this autumn congestion on the crossing will ease.

However, MSP Alex Cole-Hamilton questioned whether the road layout was suitable and urged the Scottish government to tell the public how much work was left to complete.

He said: “I am concerned that nearly six weeks into the opening of the crossing there are still significant issues with congestion.

“It is clearly no longer about sightseeing or novelty. Serious questions have to be asked about the road layout whether it is sufficent for the volume of traffic.

“I am also concerned that the bridge is not finished.

“Anyone travelling over it at night will know it looks incomplete in darkness.

“Also I want the Scottish Government and Transport Scotland to be straight with us about how much work is left to complete.”

Councillor Graham Hutchison said: “There appears to have been a complete lack of foresight with regard to the knock-on impact of the new bridge and its approaches on existing local roads, particularly those in the west of Queensferry.”

Transport Scotland pointed out the crossing stayed open in weather which would have forced the Forth Road Bridge to close on Monday.

Its spokesman added: “Traffic has begun to show signs of returning to more usual levels in recent weeks, albeit arrangements on surrounding roads and the new adjoining junctions are being kept under close review.

“Ministers provided a detailed update to Parliament last month and will continue to do so over the coming weeks and months.”