THE bar staff of the now demolished Cross Keys Inn look like they’re making a roaring trade on this day in 1960.
The pub stood at 243 High Street next door to Cabrelli’s chip shop and on this busy night pictured were Frank Poole (left), John Kennedy (middle) and proprietor Pat Brady (right). The Cross Keys Inn closed its doors for the last time in September 1960, when Pat Brady emigrated to the United States to join his brothers and sister who were already there.
Pat and his wife Edith lived for many years in Holyoke,
Massachusetts and kept in touch with friends in Linlithgow.
John Kennedy, an employee at Lochmill paper mill, worked as a part-time barman in the Cross Keys between March 1959 and September 1960. The photo was kindly submitted by John’s son, Murdoch Kennedy, of 8 Chalmers’ Buildings, Linlithgow Bridge.