Published on April 6, 2012
From our files of April 5, 1912
THE miner’s strike has impacted upon local business the county. In Linlithgow, the paper mills, leather manufacturers and factories had to close due to a lack of fuel and the curtailment of railway facilities. Rail journeys at weekends were also cancelled.
A RAILWAY engineer from Bo’ness who survived the Manual Junction disaster in 1874 in which 22 people perished died this week. James Brown was 91 years old.
A LARGE group of cadets from the Young Australian League visited Linlithgow this week as part of a tour of Great Britain. Some 50-odd men visited both Linlithgow Palace and St Michael’s Church.
From our files of April 7, 1972
RESIDENTS in council homes in Kirkliston and Winchburgh are being hit with electricity bills of up to £70 per quarter as they do not know how to operate their central heating systems.
A MONTH after the national miners’ strike production at Kinneil Colliery was halted again when 216 miners downed tools in sympathy with four coal-face electricians over wage cuts.
A DECISION on the future of the old Linlithgow Academy building is to be taken within a month. Hopes are high that it will revert to being a school once again.
THE 1972 Oatridge Point to Point meeting was rained off due to poor visibility conditions.
THE Rose drew against Sauchie in the quarter-final of the East of Scotland Cup.
From our files of April 4, 2002
WEST Lothian Council employees were told that they can no longer make toast at work. This followed a full scale evacuation of West Lothian House in Livingston after someone burnt their toast.
BO’NESS lady Chris McNaught was presented with the McLaren Rosebowl this week in recognition of her 25 years of active community involvement in the town.
WEST Lothian paid tribute following the death of the Queen Mother as flags were flown at half-mast across the county.
THE Rose qualified for the final of the Scottish Junior Cup when they beat Tayport 2-1 in the semi-final at Livingston.