From our files

A trip down memory lane

Miners saved

This week in 1894

Queensferry rescue: Six miners had a lucky escape while visiting the German fleet at Queensferry. On the way out their boat went down. Luckily two Germans jumped from their boat and managed to save four of the miners, none of whom could swim. The other two men were saved by John McLachlan who was in a nearby rowing boat nearby at the time.

Bo’ness deserter: In front of Sheriff-Substitute Gilkison, Richard Robertson, a miner from Bo’ness, admitted to being a deserter from the Scots Guards. He was taken to prison to await an escort to headquarters.

Linlithgow Magistrates: This week a meeting was held to try and resurrect a former popular event. In years gone by the Queen’s Magistrates would come together and pledge Her Majesty’s health. The meeting was held in the Custom-House Hotel, West Port. After making the pledge to the Queen’s health, the meeting agreed to continue the tradition.

Linlithgow football: The annual meeting of Linlithgow Football Association was held in the Palace Hotel. Many clubs were represented, with only Broxburn and Belstane Birds being absent from the meeting.

Pigeons pinched

This week in 1944

Pigeon pinching: A youth and a juvenile appeared at Linlithgow Sheriff Court after being found in a restricted area at Duntarvie Castle. It was believed the men were there hoping to catch pigeons. They were caught by guards and warned to stay away, however, just an hour later, they were caught again trying to get to the pigeons. The two men were sent to the Sheriff Court for sentencing where they were fined £2 each with the option of five days imprisonment.

HEAT STROKE: A soldier and renowned local footballer from Bo’ness died after suffering a heat stroke in India. Private Matthew Stewart was playing a game of football at a hill station when he collapsed. He was taken to hospital but could not be saved. Before becoming a private in the R.A.M.C. he was a footballer for Bo’ness Juniors and latterly Winchburgh Juniors. Matthew and his family lived in Bo’ness.

Man fined: John Stirling, from Bo’ness, was fined £4 for being absent from his Home Guard duties on six occasions, including parades.

Bo’ness bowling: Bo’ness went up against Kinneil for the Rosebery Cup but lost by five points.

Flaming firm

This week in 1984

firm opening: A new candle firm was set to open in Linlithgow with a promise to boost tourism. The Edinburgh company planned to open a shop, tearoom and museum of candle making in West Lothian. However, a fire which caused £100,000 of damage set the plans back. The shop was originally set for a July opening.

gala celebrations: After a 30-year lapse, Whitecross gala day returned for its second outing. In celebration, the town hosted a week of events, which included a pram race, shows and concluded with the procession on Saturday.

School extension: Work was set to start on an extension to Linlithgow Academy costing £1 million. With this extension, the school would be able to hold up to 1050 pupils.

Bo’ness united injuries: Bo’ness United were hit with a wave of injuries to key players just days before they went up against Baillieston in the Cup Final. The run of bad luck for United players included a hamstring injury for Pat Carroll, an ankle injury suffered by Frank Wilson, Jim Sinnet who had strained wrist ligaments, Lennie Reid who had a strained leg and Lex Shields who had a bad ankle.

Rubble trouble

This week in 2004

Stop the rubble: Louie Laidlaw was fighting to save reed beds at Linlithgow Loch from being destroyed by rubble dumped there. The waste had been left left by Mr Moriarty who claimed he owned the land down to the edge of the banks. Laidlaw was fighting the claim on the basis it could harm the birds.

foul fine: West Lothian Council was set to impose a fine on anyone who did not clean up after their dogs. The fine was to start off at £40, rising to £60 if it was not paid after 28 days. The decision was the result of complaints about people ignoring bye-laws and permitting their dog to foul.

Rose to the final: After beating Bo’ness United 3-1 in the semi-final, Linlithgow Rose made it through to the final of the Carlsberg East of Scotland Cup. Rose players were also celebrating making it through to the final of the Fife-Lothians Cup after winning on penalty shoot-outs .

Bo’ness boxer: Liam Gray became the Scottish Thai Boxing Champion. He took part in the contest at the Inchyra Grange Hotel and took the Scottish Thai Boxing Association title. Liam was also the holder of the ISKA title.