Flashbacks published on May 11, 2012
From our files of May 10, 1912
ON Sunday all roads led to Abercorn Parish Church for the baptism of twin sons of the Marquis and Marchioness of Linlithgow. Some 300 invited guests filled the church.
ON Monday there arrived in Bo’ness for breaking the ship Osmauli which first went into service in 1880.
A BENEFIT concert was held in Lochend Public School, Kirkliston, in aid of David McPherson of Westerton who has been unable to work since his serious accident in Newliston Mine some 14 months ago.
THE Bo’ness Bowling Green was opened for the season on Saturday. A good turnout of 50 members was in attendance, Mrs Dott throwing the first jack of the season.
From our files of May 12, 1972
THE Binks car park in Queensferry has been given a new look complete with a long overdue tarmac surface but residents are unhappy with the number of ‘‘out of town’’ lorry drivers parking there over the weekend.
LOCAL councillors striving to have the ‘‘old’’ academy in Blackness Road brought back into use as a primary school were disappointed when a vote on the matter failed by just two votes.
WORKMEN cut through a vital telephone line in Bo’ness and it proved impossible to raise the alarm after a fire broke out in town council properties which were destroyed. No-one was injured.
PUPILS from Queensferry High School have this week embarked on a cruise on the SS Uganda.
From our files of May 19, 2002
PRESSURE is mounting on West Lothian Council to find a solution to the overcrowding of Linlithgow Academy as pupils from primary schools face being turned down for a place there.
NATIONALISTS were this week mourning the passing of a party legend. Willie Kellock (85), who grew up in Bo’ness, died in a nursing home in Inverness-shire.
A MASSIVE 547 job will be lost when Grampian Country Chickens at Newbridge closes. It employs many people from this area.
MUSSELBURGH put paid to Linlithgow Rose’s 20-game unbeaten run beating them 2-1.