Glassing resulted in ‘revenge’ bar attack

The Mill Inn.
The Mill Inn.

A Bo’ness “family man” was sentenced to a year in prison after he admitted smashing a glass in another man’s face during a bar brawl.

Ian Aitken appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday after pleading guilty to the attack, which happened after his work Christmas night out on December 7 last year at the Mill Inn in Ladysmill.

The court was shown CCTV footage of the fight, in which Aitken (36) approaches a group of younger men while holding a pool cue.

One of the group reaches for the cue and Aitken responded by throwing a glass, hitting the man in the face.

In the moments after, a brawl broke out involving several of the victim’s friends and Aitken ended up unconscious on the floor of the bar.

Procurator fiscal depute Aileen Gordon said: “As you can see, Mr Aitken was seriously assaulted by the victim, who was sentenced to 12 months at Stirling Sheriff Court last week for the revenge attack.

“But the man was left with scarring to his nose and will be permanently disfigured because of this assault.”

Defence solicitor Andy Bryson told the court that Aitken, of 3 Deanfield Crescent, Bo’ness, was a hard working family man of good character who had never been in trouble before.

He said: “He had been drinking heavily and didn’t have any recollection of the incident.

“When he saw the DVD footage of the assault in my office, he was physically sick and couldn’t believe he had acted in this manner.

“As you can see, my client was worse off because of the fight and was actually left unconscious for a few moments after the beating.

“The man already jailed for his part, stabbed my client in the head with a bottle.”

He continued: “I realise this serious charge would normally carry a custodial sentence but, in the circumstances – and that his family would suffer if he went to prison – I’d ask you to avoid sending him to prison.”

Sentencing, Sheriff John Mundy said the charge was too serious to avoid sending him to jail and sentenced him to 12 months imprisonment.