Thug yells at sheriff after jail sentence

A thug lost his temper and shouted and swore at a sheriff that he shouldn't be jailed for a violent pub attack ... because he was getting anger management therapy.

Thursday, 16th June 2016, 6:16 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 6:34 pm
Livingston Sheriff Court

Lee Mullen screamed aggressively at Sheriff Peter Hammond when he was caged for five and a half months today

His face distorted with rage, Mullen interrupted the sheriff’s sentencing statement to claim he had done nothing wrong – even though he had pled guilty to injuring a pub-goer by smashing a glass tumbler and breaking a barmaid’s finger by throwing a bar stool at her.

He shouted over the sheriff: “I go to my anger management. I’m trying my hardest.

“I’ve asked for one more chance to make a go of things. I don’t drink, I don’t do drugs, all I do is walk my dog.

“I’m trying to sort myself out here. Gie’s a chance!”

As Mullen became more and more enraged a police officer went to help a G4S security guard control him in the dock.

The accused struggled violently with the two men as he was led, still protesting loudly, to the cells.

He could be heard kicking the courtroom door and shouting and swearing for several minutes until more security guards brought him under control and took him down to the cells.

Sheriff Hammond adjourned the court until calm was restored.

Mullen (23), of The Vennel, Linlithgow earlier admitted assaulting David Ross at the Newyearfield pub in Livingston by throwing a glass which broke and cut him on the face.

He also admitted acting in a culpable and reckless manner by throwing the stool which struck barmaid Kelly Fulton on the hand to her injury during the same incident on July 16 last year.

Livingston Sheriff Court was told that Miss Fulton’s finger was fractured as she put up her arm to protect herself from the flying furniture.

Andrew Richardson, prosecuting, said the incident began with a confrontation between Mullen and another group of customers in the pub at about 8.30pm.

Staff tried to calm the accused down, but as he was pulled back from the other group he threw a glass at Mr Mullen. The tumbler missed its target but smashed on the bar and a piece of broken glass cut Mr Mullen on the face.

Mullen threw the chair which injured the barmaid as he was being led off the premises. When police cautioned and charged him he replied “Sorry” to both charges.

Kirsty Lumsden, defending, said Mullen was trying to turn his life around and asked the court to give him a “last chance” to show he could be a law-abiding citizen.

She said: “Mr Mullen has accepted that he has issues with anger and in dealing with his emotions and he advises that he’s currently under the care of his GP and in receipt of medication which is in part to help with his anger issues.”

She said that Mullen had been upset on the day of the offence because his mother had told him she no longer wanted any contact with him. She added: “His childhood was blighted by shameful parenting.”

Looking at Mullen’s record, Sheriff Hammond told her: “For years his history has essentially been that of a violent thug.

“He has had numerous periods of detention, community payback orders and alternatives to custody and on every occasion he seems to maintain his offending. He’s also presented as angry and aggressive towards the social worker.”

Turning to Mullen he said: “This was a wholly unacceptable incident of violent behaviour which is completely in keeping with your long record of violence and disorder.

“You’ve been under supervision for the past five years and it hasn’t made any difference. In my view, a custodial sentence is the only appropriate disposal so on each charge you are sentenced to five and a half months imprisonment.”