A look through the Journal and Gazette’s archives
This week in 1894
ORGAN OR NOT: Members of Linlithgow Free Church debated whether they should introduce a harmonium or organ to accompany church services. The congregation had been undecided on the issue for more than 10 years.
court retiral: Mr W Horn Morrison, the county clerk who also acted as an accountant to the Court for the past 40 years, resigned. During his tenure, he served under five sheriffs.
COURT APPEARANCE: A miner appeared at Linlithgow Sheriff Court charged with assaulting his step-mother. The woman had spoken to him about not having a job but in return he began throwing pots and pans at her. He was ordered to pay a £1/10s fine or face 20 days in jail.
WEDDING DATE: The minister at Linlithgow Parish Church, the Reverend John Ferguson, was married to Miss Mary Jane Miller Richard in Edinburgh. The congregation presented the newly-wed couple with two solid silver salvers and 100 sovereigns to mark the occasion.
This week in 1944
FUEL RATIONS: The Ministry of Fuel and Power, in light of reserving coal for military operations, was restricting households to just 5cwt during the month of February. Coke and anthracite remained free of restriction.
APPEAL DISMISSED: Two Forth pilots appealed against their refusal of new licences. But the pilots in question were aged 75 and 73. They were refused on the grounds that they may suffer a physical infirmity or defect in hearing.
Gallant award: Bo’ness man William Cameron received the British Empire Medal from the King at Buckingham Palace for his gallantry during an emergency at a local factory in 1942.
WAGE INCREASE: At the most recent meeting of Queensferry Town Council, Provost Lawson agreed to grant an increase of two shillings per week to the wages of burgh employees.
APPEAL FOR CLOTHES: The war effort was appealing for old clothes, string, blankets, etc, as they could help line aircraft interiors.
This week in 1984
SITE CHOSEN: A site close to Springfield in Linlithgow had been earmarked as the best in Scotland to develop a high quality technology industrial park. Linlithgow was chosen ahead of 52 other sites across Scotland by the Scottish Development Agency.
BLAZE DRAMA: Residents at a housing estate in Kirkliston were having their quality of life ruined by vandals. Nightly, house windows were smashed, paint daubed on walls and fires started .
FOUNDRY THEFT: Ballantine’s foundry was offering a reward of £100 for information on a thief who had stolen around 30 aluminium moulding boxes in recent months. The boxes were essential to the foundry and continued thefts, it was claimed, could put the Bo’ness company in jeopardy.
SCOTTISH CUP: Bo’ness marched into the last 16 of the Scottish Cup after a one-nil win over Yoker. The club was set to meet Cumnock in the fifth round. The Rose drew with Ormiston to maintain their third position in the Laidlaw League.
This week in 2004
CIVIC GO-AHEAD: Linlithgow’s annual celebrations for the Marches would go ahead after the Deacons Court was able to negotiate a deal on a marquee. A regular contractor had put an additional premium on its marquee so it was too costly.
Horse centre: West Lothian Council gave the go-ahead for a 590 seat equestrian arena to be built at Oatridge.
TREE TRIBUTE: A silver birch tree was planted at Preston Park in memory of Mary Salmond, mother of the now First Minister Alex. Members of West Lothian Trefoil Guild and Linlithgow Ramblers attended the event.
service celebrated: The Deacons Court in Linlithgow celebrated more than 52 years of dedication to the organisation with the retiral of members Sandy Smart and Roy Redwood.
SCOTTISH CUP: Linlithgow were knocked out of the cup by Hill of Beath 4-1 in a game which saw four Rose players sent off. Bo’ness lost by the odd goal in five to Lochee in the league.