From our files

From our files of May 31, 1912

FATAL Accident Inquiries were held in Linlithgow this week into five accidents involving six deaths in the county. One concerned the death of a distillery worker who was severely injured when he fell into a hot water tank at Bo’ness Distillery. Another involved the deaths of two men killed working at the Bridgeness shipbreaking yard after wood fell from a crane upon them.

A NEW Post Office, next to the Clydesdale Bank, has opened for business in Queensferry’s High Street.

A MEETING was held in Bo’ness with the purpose of re-organising the local branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

From our files of June 2, 1972

A STRAY Collie was shot dead at Dundas Farm, Queensferry after it was found terrorising cattle in a field.

QUEENSFERRY woman Betty Hardie, wife of local councillor Bill, was chosen to crown the Ferry Fair Queen on August 12.

JAMES Cuthell announced his retirement as the conductor of the Bo’ness Fair Festival. Aged 69, Mr Cuthell had wielded the baton at the Fair for 25 years.

LINLITHGOW Rose were beaten 1-0 by Sauchie Juniors in the final of the St Michael’s Cup. However they beat their local rivals Bo’ness United by two goals to nil in an end of season derby.

From our files of May 31, 2002

DEMANDS were made for security to be ‘beefed up’ at Bo’ness Academy after intruders gained access whilst the school was in session.

HUGE crowds flocked to the Hawes Pier to watch the 17th annual Forth Bridge raft race. More than 20 teams took part in the race won by staff from the Two Bridges bar.

Children from primary schools in Linlithgow, Bridgend and Winchburgh battled it out at the 11th George Allan Memorial Tournament at Prestonfield. Linlithgow managed to capture the trophy from Springfield in the final.