Residents’ patience is running out with a High Street development which has been described as “hideous” and faces further problems.
The building work on the High Street frontage by McCarthy & Stone at its retirement home development at Templars Court is “very unlikely” to go ahead, regional managing director Jonathan Fair said this week.
It follows problems last year after work was forced to stop because the building firm faced an insurance issue with the neighbouring property.
The company had hoped to complete the remaining work – two retail units and five flats above – but ground investigations earlier this year revealed rock below ground which has put the original project in doubt.
Councillors Tom Conn and Tom Kerr are to meet officials today (Friday) to find out more about McCarthy & Stone’s intentions.
Mr Conn said; “We’ve been invited to a meeting to update us so hopefully it will give us a clearer picture as to what they are planning.
“The feeling is that they have got to do something. I’ve heard complaints from residents saying it’s not what they bought into.
“Money has been spent on the Burgh Halls and the new partnership centre but this is just a hideous site, it’s been going on too long and people are fed up with it being in the heart of the town.”
Regional managing director for McCarthy & Stone said: “Unfortunately the results of ground investigations have revealed that the conditions make it very unlikely that the original planned work can go ahead.
“Our priority is now to consult with those affected to examine the findings and explore the best alternative solutions to enhance and improve the look of the site.”