EMERGENCY services were called out after an articulated truck caught fire close to the Champany Inn last Friday.
The truck, which was transporting scrap cars, had been travelling along the A904 at around 5pm when the trailer section of the vehicle began to smoulder.
Within minutes, however, the trailer was ablaze after it had turned onto the A803 Linlithgow to Bo’ness road.
Fire appliances from Bo’ness and Linlithgow stations attended the scene and used foam to extinguish the blaze which was affecting high voltage power lines at the side of the road.
Scottish Power were also called to the incident to assist in disconnecting the overhead power lines for a period of time.
The section of the A803 was closed and all traffic detoured via the Champany restaurant car park. The restaurant was also without power for several hours whilst the blaze was brought under control.
One eyewitness who was travelling behind the lorry on the A904 said: “We saw what looked like powdered cement or sawdust coming from the truck as it drove along, but when it turned onto the Bo’ness Road flames began shooting out of the trailer section. The driver jumped out with a fire extinguisher, but there was nothing he could do.’’