Seventh heaven as United unveil their league flag

Bo'ness v Sauchie 9/8/2014 Donnelly fires in a shot
Bo'ness v Sauchie 9/8/2014 Donnelly fires in a shot

Bo’ness United delivered a fantastic performance on the day they unveiled the championship flag and showed their intent to retain the league title.

It was Sauchie who had the first effort of the match when Darren Cummings tried his luck from the halfway line straight from the kick off however this was almost as good as it got for them.

The home side went ahead after just five minutes following a fine flowing move which ended when Scott Pittman played a one two with Chris Donnelly before he scored with a perfectly placed left footed shot, and Pittman almost turned creator moments later when he played in Willie McLaren however his effort went wide.

Bo’ness almost made it two on 11 minutes when Darren Gribben found Pittman who showed great awareness to play in McLaren whose twenty yard effort went narrowly past the post.

The visitors were working hard, however their attacking efforts were being restricted to crosses which were all being dealt with comfortably by the home defence, and by keeper Mark Peat whose handling in windy conditions was exemplary and Bo’ness were dominating in all areas of the park.

The second came on the half hour mark when Gribben played a ball behind the defence and Pittman raced onto it before slotting it past the keeper with his right foot, and it was almost three when Pittman turned provider with a defence splitting pass and Donnelly saw his effort well saved by Darren Dolan.

Bo’ness were playing some lovely football and almost increased their lead just before the interval after a nice turn from Gribben however his shot went wide.

The second half brought more of the same from the home side and on 50 minutes a Will Snowdon cross was nodded in by Gribben and shortly after it was four when a Stuart Hunter ball forward caught the Sauchie defence napping and McLaren found the 
corner of the net.

Bo’ness looked liable to score with every attack and on the hour mark Snowdon 
almost got the fifth when he ran onto a quick throw from Donnelly but saw his shot saved by Dolan.

To their credit Sauchie kept working hard and almost got a consolation when Iain Syme saw his low left foot effort rebound off the post and away to safety.

The fifth for Bo’ness was to come in the 70th minute when Gribben crossed to the back post and McLaren headed over the keeper to get his second of the afternoon, and it got worse for Sauchie moments later when McLaren played the ball through to Keiran Anderson who beat the offside trap before tucking it away to make it six.

The visitors forced Mark Peat back into action on 77 minutes when Cummings had an effort however the keeper saved comfortably and Bo’ness were to complete the scoring on 83 minutes.

Gribben swung a corner deep into the box and a penalty was awarded for an 
infringement on Ross 
Campbell. Snowdon stepped up to take it and blasted it into the net to make it 7-0 for Bo’ness.

Seconds before the full time whistle McLaren saw his drive go narrowly wide, in what was a tremendous all round performance from the team.

Manager Allan McGonigal was delighted with the display: “Goals change games and the first two goals were excellent and that’s why we brought Scott Pittman to the football club. The result is a real confidence boost for the players.

“We have a lot more to come from the players when they are fully fit, and I’m particularly happy with a shut out.”