Nationalists have thwarted plans for Culture Secretary Fiona Hyslop to answer more questions on the T in the Park scandal.
Opposition MSPs reportedly demanded that she should be called to answer over the questionable use of public funds, but, with an SNP majority on the education and culture committee, their efforts were blocked.
Linlithgow MSP Hyslop has been under scrutiny for handing over a controversial payment of £150,000 to organisers of the festival. Convener Stewart Maxwell, also an SNP MSP, ruled out another appearance from the Culture Secretary before the committee which led to accusations from the opposition that she was “dodging questions”.
Following her appearance before the committee on Tuesday, September 29, her defence was criticised. She admitted that T in the Park’s profits were not taken into account before the grant was dished out. It was also revealed that despite DF Concerts preparing a report on exactly how this money was spent, it will not be published by the Scottish Government.
T in the Park boss Geoff Ellis came out and said he did not threaten a government minister after claims were made that he said he would pull the event out of Scotland if it was not supported by taxpayers’ money.
A Scottish Government spokeswoman said: “The Cabinet Secretary gave evidence to the education and culture committee for over an hour and a half on Tuesday, September 29.
“She has also answered questions on T in the Park both in writing and in the Scottish Parliament chamber, as well as publishing over 600 pages of relevant documents.”
The education and culture committee met behind closed doors earlier this week.