Standoff man threatened to turn flats into an inferno

The police armed response unit had to be called in to deal with the threat posed by Martin
The police armed response unit had to be called in to deal with the threat posed by Martin

Steven Martin (32) was high on various substances when he told police officers he would hit them with a piece of wood, set his dog on them, pour petrol over them and set fire to them and his house.

Martin had previously pleaded guilty to behaving in a threatening manner and recklessly holding a lighter against a petrol canister with no regard for his safety or the safety of others.

The offence took place at 50 Wholequarter Avenue, Redding, on May 28 last year.

The case was called once again at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday.

Ann Orr, procurator fiscal depute, said: “The accused refused to let police in. They saw him brandish a long piece of wood, saying ‘come in and this is what will happen’.

“He then got his Rottweiler-type dog, saying ‘Get them. I will set her on you’ and ‘I’ve got an axe and I’ll get you if you come in’.

“He began rummaging through a cupboard and came back with a red plastic fuel container and said ‘this is petrol’. He came out on to the landing with the petrol container and said ‘Come on then – come near me and I will pour this over you’.

“He said ‘if you don’t leave me alone I’m going to set fire to the whole place’.”

A firearms incident was declared and armed officers were sent to the scene, with neighbours evacuated and the street closed to traffic as a six-hour siege began. Officers forced entry to the house when they became concerned Martin had harmed himself and eventually arrested him.

A lawyer defending Martin, 8D Market Street, Bo’ness, said he was “no longer gripped by the substances which had such a detrimental effect on him”.

Sheriff Kenneth McGowan warned Martin this was an offence which normally meant a term in custody but deferred sentence on him for two months for a social work report to be compiled.