Love is one of life’s few free pleasures, but for many Scots not only does it come with a hefty price tag, but it also takes a lot of time to find.
Research from TopCashback.co.uk, the UK’s most generous cashback shopping site, reveals that more than half (56 per cent) of Scottish residents who have now found love went on between two and four dates a month costing them £30 each time, in their quest for love.
Finding the one is not just a monetary investment, but one of time too. On average people dedicated 10 hours each week looking for love, and a fifth (20 per cent) of women admitted to spending between 41 and 50 hours a week pursuing love interests.
The research of people now in relationships also finds that it took those loved up, on average, 18 months to find that special someone.
With the cost of finding true love pulling on the purse strings, three in 10 (29 per cent) abandoned traditional methods of dating turning instead to online dating sites.
While 30 per cent of previous online daters were using dating platform for around six months, 15 percent were signed up for a year and 20 per cent for up to two years.
Despite three quarters (75 per cent) of online daters sticking to free services (such as Tinder), the remaining 25 per cent used ones that had a fee attached.
Of those who subscribed to paid for dating services, 40 per cent said they spent £10 on average each month scouring the net for new love interests.