The Phoenix Bar in Whitecross has been burnt to the ground following a fire early today (Thursday).
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service responded to reports of a fire at around 2.30am and found the social club engulfed in flames when they arrived at the scene.
Elaine Kelso lives across the road from the club and was woken by the smell of smoke early this morning.
She said: “It was the middle of the night and I could smell smoke. At first I thought it was something burning in my house.”
Elaine, who retired as chairperson of the Power Station, a community group in Whitecross, earlier this year, described the sight of the pub from her window.
She said: “The air was just all smoke. The wind was blowing the black, thick smoke straight towards my house, it was awful.
“I can still smell it, I have candles everywhere trying to get rid of it.”
Police asked Elaine to move her car into a different street as ash flew from the burning building into her garden.
Elaine said: “It is a bad start to the year for Whitecross. The Phoenix was the only place people could go for a pint. It had the bingo and domino nights as well.”
A SFRS spokesman said: “Our firefighters immediate began tackling the blaze and searching for anyone inside.
“In total, four fire engines as well as other supporting appliance are currently in attendance.”
A joint enquiry is being undertaken by Police Scotland and the SFRS. A Police spokesman said: “Police in Falkirk are investigating following a suspicious fire in Whitecross.”