When Margaret Roberton met her childhood sweetheart, David Henderson in 1940, Buckingham Palace had been hit by a German bomb and McDonald’s had opened its first restaurant.
The couple, born in Falkirk in 1922 and 23 respectively have now lived in the Burgh for 54 years.
They met unusually, after playing badminton at Bainsford’s methodist church, and, one evening when no one else turned up they decided to visit the cinema instead - the rest, as they say is history.
They married in Bainsford in 1949 before setting up home in Newton Stewart after moving there when David had been demobbed from the Royal Navy at the end of World War Two, where he had taken part in the Normandy landings.
The couple went on to have a family of four boys, Derek, Douglas, Alan and Gordon, and now are proud grandparents and great grandparents to a further 12 children.
In 1960 the couple moved to Linlithgow where David worked for the timber trade in Grangemouth before retiring from Muirhead and Sons in 1988. Margaret, who had formerly been a primary school teacher at Dennyloanhead became a full-time mum to the family.
The couple celebrated their blue sapphire wedding surrounded by friends and family at Glenskirlie House, before receiving a visit at home from The Queen’s representative, Lord-Lieutenant Isobel Brydie and West Lothian Provost, Tom Kerr.