Linlithgow Rose through in Fife & Lothians Cup

Kevin Kelbie got Linlithgow Rose's second goal at Fauldhouse
Kevin Kelbie got Linlithgow Rose's second goal at Fauldhouse

Linlithgow Rose sailed safely through to the next round of the Fife and Lothians Cup with a 2-0 win at Fauldhouse United on Wednesday night.

First half goals from Tommy Coyne and Kevin Kelbie were enough to overcome their fellow Superleague opponents and give Davie McGlynn’s men their fourth win in a row.

Fresh from a 5-1 success at Tayport on Saturday, it took Rose just four minutes to go in front.

Gary Thom’s long cross found Kevin Kelbie and he passed to Tommy Coyne who slotted the ball past ’keeper Andy Murphy and into the net.

Rose might have moved further ahead in the 15th minute when Graham Weir intercepted the ball from Clark Campbell’s error, but his shot drifted just over the bar.

The visitors threatened again a few minutes later but Blair Batchelor’s snapshot was denied by the left-hand post.

Rose were forced to make a change after 25 minutes when the injured Weir was replaced by Colin Strickland.

But they continued to dominate possession and Coyne had a shot blocked before, in the 39th minute, their advantage was doubled.

Once again Coyne and Kelbie linked well and this time it was Kelbie who pulled the trigger, firing through Murphy’s hands to give Rose a two-goal cushion.

Before half-time Sam Watson was lucky to escape with only a yellow card after a bad challenge on Kelbie.

Batchelor’s header glanced past the post and a great long ball from Ryan Baptie to Batchelor was squared to Coyne but his shot was blocked.

Four minutes after the interval Mark Wilkins replaced Jordon Love for Fauldhouse and 15 minutes later the home side were awarded a free-kick in a good area, but it was blocked by the Rose wall.

It looked like Rose had scored again in the 65th minute when Coyne slotted home from close range after Murphy could only parry Kelbie’s shot but the offside flag was up.

Minutes later Kelbie’s cross was met by Strickland, but he was leaning back and fired over the bar.

A rare spell of good play from Fauldhouse saw Ross Donnelly shoot past the left-hand post and a good ball flashed across the face of goal but no-one was able to get on the end of it.

At the other end, Coyne, Kelbie and Ruari Maclennan all linked well before Batchelor shot for goal and ’keeper Murphy pulled off a fantastic save.

After 79 minutes Mark Tyrrell replaced Kelbie and minutes later Donnelly shot just wide in Fauldhouse’s best move of the match.

There was a final chance for the Rose to grab a third goal shortly before the final whistle.

Coyne and Ruari Maclennan linked and the shot was parried by Murphy, but the ’keeper rescued the ball before Strickland could pounce.

Linlithgow Rose: Adams, McGregor, Baptie, Mackenzie, Thom, Ruari Maclennan, Batchelor, Shirra, Kelbie (Tyrrell 79), Coyne, Weir (Strickland 25).

Subs not used: Leiper, King, McKinven.

Linlithgow are at home to Kennoway Star Hearts in the next round with the winner of that match at home to Musselburgh Athletic.