Linlithgow’s Fortress Prestonfield remains unbreached

Roddy Maclennan and Conor Kelly celebrate Rose's opener against Camelon
Roddy Maclennan and Conor Kelly celebrate Rose's opener against Camelon

Linlithgow Rose maintained their unbeaten home record with a 5-2 thumping of Camelon at Prestonfield on Wednesday night.

Although the title has gone, the victory keeps Davie McGlynn’s men on track for a top three finish as they seek to overhaul Bo’ness United and Kelty Hearts.

Rose went into the game fresh from a 4-1 win Fife and Lothians Cup win over Kennoway Star Hearts on Saturday and it didn’t take Davie McGlynn’s side long to get back on the goal trail.

There were just five minutes on the clock when good play by Blair Batchelor released Roddy Maclennan and his low cross found Conor Kelly who slipped the ball past ’keeper David Kane at the near post.

Camelon, battling to steer clear of the the threat of relegation, were forced into a change after 11 minutes when Frannie Kelly went off injured and was replaced by Sam Collumbine.

But the switch did have a positive outcome for the visitors.

Within 10 minutes the substitute’s inswinging corner was missed by Rose ’keeper Michael McKinven and Tierney tapped in at the back post for the equaliser.

However Camelon weren’t level for long as Rose hit back to regain the lead just a minute later.

A good ball from Ryan Baptie found Batchelor and he rounded the ’keeper before slotting the ball into the empty net.

Rose scored again five minutes later when they were awarded a penalty for handball and Tommy Coyne sent the ’keeper the wrong way from the spot.

However Camelon weren’t disheartened by the scoreline and Flynn sent an angled shot just wide of the far post before a long range shot from Fotheringham went just over the bar.

Just before the half-time whistle sounded Roddy Maclennan had a chance to move the Rose further ahead but his shot was deflected over the bar.

Rose remained 3-1 ahead at the break but six minutes into the second period Camelon clawed a goal back courtesy of a defensive blunder by the Prestonfield rearguard.

Defender Jamie Mackenzie back headed the ball to McKinven, but the Rose ’keeper had already come off his line and the ball went over his head and into the net.

But once again Rose hit back quickly after conceding and restored their two-goal advantage just a few minutes later.

Following a great run and cross from Roddy Maclennan the ball arrived at Coyne at the back post and the striker volleyed it ball back across goal to Andy Shirra who forced it over the line.

The goal was followed by a flurry of substitutions as both sides made changes.

For the home side Roddy Maclennan and Conor Kelly were replaced by Colin Strickland and Graeme McGregor while Camelon’s Allison was replaced by David Grant.

In the 69th minute the Rose nearly suffered another defensive mishap which once again involved Mackenzie and McKinven but this time a good save from McKinven diverted the danger.

In the 76th minute Camelon’s Devine was booked for a foul on Shirra and Glasgow was replaced by Andrew Grant.

Coyne quickly followed into the book for a foul but, in the 82nd minute, he made a more positive contribution by setting up his side’s fifth goal.

He played a fine, long pass to Batchelor and the midfielder flicked the ball over the ’keeper on the edge of the box and into the net.

In the final minutes McKinven pulled off a good save to deny David Grant.

Rose then had the perfect chance to add to their tally when they were awarded a penalty after Fotheringham brought down McGregor in the box.

The defender was booked, as was Taylor for dissent, but when Coyne stepped up to take the penalty, Kane guessed correctly to save.

The victory consolidates Rose’s position in fourth. They remain a point behind Kelty Hearts but the Fife side have played one game less and are favourites to finish second behind champions-elect Bonnyrigg.

However second Bo’ness placed, five points ahead of Rose, have just one game left to play while Rose still have four.