Linlithgow Rose snatch victory at the death

web image football
web image football

Fauldhouse United 1

Shanks 90

Linlithgow Rose 2

Coyne 55, 90+1

THIS was by far the Rose’s toughest competitive fixture of the 2012-2013 season so far, with the home team unlucky not to take anything from the match.

The Rose had a few opportunities in the first half, but were unable to make them count. In the 16th minute, Tyrell’s corner was just too high for Ovenstone at the back post. Just before the half hour mark, Dunn’s corner was headed towards goal by Ovenstone but it was cleared off the line. Coyne followed up with a header but again it was cleared by the Fauldhouse defence.

The home team had a fantastic opportunity to go ahead in the 33rd minute when the ball was played through to Wilkins. The Rose defence was wide open but Wilkins put the ball wide of the right hand post when he should have done better.

Throughout the first half, and indeed the match, the home team committed a number of fouls without punishment by referee Ralph Gordon. It was therefore somewhat surprising that the first booking of the match in the 36th minute went to Fauldhouse’s Ross for dissent.

Just on half time, Scott’s effort went wide, and the Rose were lucky to be all-square at the interval.

After 55 minutes, the Rose got the breakthrough. Tyrell’s ball in was headed by Herd and after Strickland’s shot was blocked, the ball fell to Coyne whose shot took a deflection and trundled into the net, squeezing between the keeper and his post. Two minutes later, Hay made a fantastic save to deny Shanks after Dunn’s mistake allowed Martin to intercept and pass to the midfielder.

With 20 minutes remaining, Tyrell and Herd were replaced by Nelson and Roddy Maclennan. Maclennan’s first touch was a shot on goal but it went high of the target. Two minutes later, the Rose were denied what looked to be a stonewall penalty when Coyne was tripped in the box near the byeline.

The home team continued to battle hard and, in the 86th minute, Hay needed to be at full stretch to saves Shanks’ effort from edge of the box.

The match nearing full-time, Fauldhouse were awarded a penalty for a foul on Baird by Ovenstone and Shanks converted the spot-kick to score the equaliser.

The Rose, however, not content with a draw, scored the winner a minute later when Coyne’s header went in off the post following Nelson’s corner.

At the end of the day, a hard fought win for the Rose which almost certainly sees them through to the semi-final stage of the cup.

Linlithgow man of the match: Hay

Rose: Hay, Gibson, Dunn, Mackenzie, Ovenstone, Tyrell (Nelson 70), Ruari Maclennan, Shirra, Strickland, Coyne, Herd (Roddy Maclennan 70). Subs not used: Manson, Smith, Paterson.