Rose hit double figures

Linlithgow Rose 10

Shirra 9, 23; Strickland 24, 29, 76; Smith 25, 39; Roddy Maclennan 27, 48; Coyne 86

Harthill 1

Whale 77

On a lovely summer’s day, this match really was a stroll in the park for the Rose.

With only nine minutes played Shirra opened the scoring.

Keeper Neilly blocked his first shot but the midfielder followed up to score.

Shirra’s second goal came after 23 minutes when, following a neat 1-2 with Roddy Maclennan, he curled the ball past the keeper and into the net.

This proved to be the start of a fantastic six-minute period for the Rose in which they scored another four goals and put to bed any hopes the visitors might have had of getting any points from the match.

In the 24th minute, Strickland scored following a cross from Smith and, less than a minute later, Dunn’s cross from the left was met by Smith who hit the ball on the turn to score a spectacular goal.

After 27 minutes, Tyrell chipped the ball to Roddy Maclennan who ran in on goal and slotted the ball home and two minutes later, Strickland scored goal number six for the Rose.

And in the 39th minute, Rose fans were treated to what must be a contender for goal of the season.

Pinkowski’s long kick was controlled by Smith, who then hit the ball on the volley and it rocketed into the net. Quite simply, a stunning goal.

At half time, manager Mark Bradley decided to replace Gibson with Ruari Maclennan, a substitution which saw club captain Tyrell move from midfield to right back.

The first goal of the second half came in the 48th minute when Ruari Maclennan’s cross found brother Roddy whose looping header back across goal ended up in the back of the net.

The Rose seemed to take the foot off the gas in the second half but continued to dominate and create a number of opportunities.

In the 61st minute, Ruari Maclennan’s header was saved on the line by the legs of Neilly and the visiting keeper pulled off another save five minutes later to deny Tyrell following good work and a cut-back from Shirra.

The visitors replaced Muir with Whale and the Rose sent on Herd and Coyne to replace Nelson and Ovenstone.

Within a few minutes, Coyne’s cross from the left was headed home by Strickland to complete his hat-trick.

Harthill did very little throughout the match to create goal scoring opportunities and so it came as a disappointment that the Rose were unable to keep a clean sheet.

Harthill enjoyed a rare break in the 77th minute after an unfortunate slip by Dunn and, although Pinkowski pushed the initial shot out wide, Whale followed in, got to the ball before Tyrell and slotted past the keeper.

In the final five minutes, the Rose’s goal tally hit double figures as Herd’s low cross was left by Smith, allowing Coyne to smash the ball home.

Linlithgow man of the match: Shirra

Linlithgow: Pinkowski, Gibson (Ruari Maclennan 46), Dunn, Mackenzie, Ovenstone (Coyne 71), Tyrell, Shirra, Nelson (Herd 71), Strickland, Smith, Roddy Maclennan. Subs (not used): McArthur, Manson.