Rose victorious over Highlanders

web image football
web image football
Share this article

Highland League team Formartine United were the visitors to Prestonfield on Saturday for a friendly against the Rose.

The home side got off to a fantastic start with Strickland scoring from Manson’s cross after only two minutes.

The visitors battled well and after 17 minutes were unlucky not to score an equaliser when, following a run from McVitie, Park’s shot went wide of the post.

A few minutes later, Hay pulled off a stunning double save to deny McVitie whose fine strikes were heading for the back of the net.

However, the Rose extended their lead in the 23rd minute when good work from Herd led to an opportunity for Strickland who fired the ball into the net with a bit of help from the inside of the post.

Ten minutes later Strickland, Manson and Herd linked well with some neat passing moves and it was Herd who took time to compose himself and slot the ball past Shearer to give the Rose a three goal advantage at half- time.

Looking to reduce the deficit, Formartine made a change at half-time with Webster replacing Robertson. Within five minutes the Rose were unlucky not to make it four when a long pass from Ruari Maclennan found Herd wide on the right but his low cross couldn’t quite reach Strickland in the centre of the goal.

A few minutes later, McArthur made a great run up the left, beat the defender at the byline and sent a low cross into the box.

But, when Herd met the ball at the back post, he blasted his shot high over the bar.

In the 56th minute, Shirra replaced the injured Gibson and within a few minutes found himself on the receiving end of a rash tackle by Ewan.

No action was taken by referee Gavin Duncan and it was Ewan who, a few minutes later, beat the offside trap, rounded Hay and slotted the ball home to score for the visitors.

Smith replaced Herd and both sides looked dangerous.

In the 64th minute McArthur did well to keep possession of the ball while on the ground and the ball landed at the feet of Ruari Maclennan whose shot was superbly saved by Shearer.

Moments later, a counter-attack by Formartine saw a neat 1-2 between Wilson and Ewan and Hay just managed to get his fingertips to the ball to send it out for a corner.

In the final 15 minutes of the match, McArthur’s cross from the right found Smith whose overhead kick was just off target.

An injured McArthur was then replaced by one of the Rose’s trialists and, seven minutes from time, Smith played a clever knock-down to Strickland following a pass from Dunn.

Strickland was unlucky not to get his hat-trick as his shot was saved by Shearer.

Linlithgow: Hay, Gibson (Shirra 56), Dunn, Mackenzie, Ovenstone, Tyrell, Manson, Ruari MacLennan, Herd (Smith 60), Strickland, McArthur (Trialist 81).