Seven up as Rose stroll over bank

Michael Jones fires home Rose's seventh against Annbank to open his account for the club.
Michael Jones fires home Rose's seventh against Annbank to open his account for the club.

Linlithgow Rose were in seventh heaven as they stormed through to the third round of the Scottish Junior Cup at Prestonfield on Saturday.

Davie McGlynn’s side were never in danger of being on the wrong end of a cup shock at the hands of their Ayrshire District League opponents.

It took Rose less than two minutes to breach the Annbank defence from an unlikely source. A great ball from Ryan Baptie found Mark Tyrrell and the defender dummied ’keeper Marc Fisher before finishing well.

After nine minutes Rose doubled their lead to put them firmly in control of the match.

A good cross from Andy Shirra was miskicked by a defender straight to Tommy Coyne who made no mistake in firing past Fisher.

The Annbank ’keeper was called into action three minutes later when he blocked Blair Batchelor’s shot after a neat through ball from Kevin Kelbie.

But it was only a temporary reprieve as, with 15 minutes played, Rose extended their lead to 3-0.

Baptie played a great ball into the box but Fisher stumbled as he came to collect. He blocked Kelbie’s shot but the ball went up in the air and Kelbie headed home at the back post.

Despite being in such a convincing position so early on Rose refused to let up and inn the 21st minute captain Tyrrell scored his second goal of the match.

Graham Weir’s free kick was headed out only as far as the edge of the box where Tyrrell volleyed home for 4-0.

It wasn’t to be a clean sheet for the Rose, however, as they conceded a poor goal two minutes later.

Rose ’keeper Michael McKinven came for a cross ball, but missed it completely and Annbank’s Sean Robertson got the touch to send the ball into the net.

However two minutes before the half-hour mark Rose restored their four-goal advantage.

Batchelor was fouled on the edge of the box just as he released the ball to Kelbie, but referee Alan MacFadyen played advantage and Kelbie slotted the ball under Fisher with ease.

The Rose were able to score again before the interval.

After some good work, Kelbie’s shot was parried by Fisher but Shirra was on hand to tap home from a tight angle at the back post.

There might have been another goal for the Rose when Gary Thom hit a superb strike from a long way out, but Fisher did well with a diving save.

With a five-goal advantage at half-time manager McGlynn took the opportunity to make a couple of changes and give a run out to strikers Michael Jones and Callum Robertson who replaced Kelbie and Batchelor.

With such a commanding lead it was inevitable Rose would take their foot off the gas to some extent in the second period, although they did threaten in the 50th minute when Baptie played a fine ball low across the face of goal but no one could get a touch on it.

Surprisingly, two minutes later, Annbank created a rare attack from a Rose corner and Baptie had to clear the danger after a save from McKinven.

However Rose added to their tally in the 54th minute, Jones netting his first goal for the club by firing home at the back post from Tyrrell’s looping cross after a lay off from Robertson.

On the hour mark Annbank reduced their deficit to five again when Gregory Ferry headed home unchallenged from Gordon Wilson’s corner.

The visitors replaced Ryan Hill with Andrew Hainey before the restart.

Annbank made another substitution in the 66th minute when Jordan Barr replaced Robertson but they failed to trouble the Rose further.

With 15 minutes remaining, the Rose were unlucky not to score again when Weir’s shot crashed off the bar and moments later when Robertson’s shot flew high and wide of the target.

A great first half performance from the Rose which sees them through to the next round.